SportsMed offers yoga classes suitable for those new to yoga, with limited experience or those looking for a more restorative practice.
Yoga: To yoke or bind. Yoga is an ancient practice discovered over 2,500 years ago. It is a system of principles where a union of the mind, body and breath are connected which is designed to cultivate health and wellbeing.
There is a common misconception that you need to be flexible to do yoga however as you continue to practice yoga you will naturally become more flexible. Like all sporting activities, the more you practice, the more you will improve. As well as increased flexibility you will gain strength, coordination and a sense of wellbeing.
Connecting the mind, body and breath helps us direct our attention inward and it is through this process we are able to calm the mind and find a sense of stillness (similar to the practice of mindfulness).
Yoga classes at SportsMed are small, allowing for more student-teacher interaction. As numbers are limited, bookings are recommended.
Some of the benefits of yoga include:
- It develops strength and increases balance and flexibility
- Releases muscle and joint tension and stiffness
- Increases blood flow and decreases blood pressure
- Protects the spine and can reduce back pain and improve posture
- Improves bone health
- Benefits concentration, focus and calms the mind
- Reduces anxiety
- Can assist with sluggish digestive system
- Improved energy levels
- Improved sleep
Click here to read and download the Yoga Classes information brochure.