Ultrasound-guided Injection Therapy
SportsMed Subiaco sports doctors now offer ultrasound-guided injection therapy with state-of-the-art Sonosite ultrasound technology, providing immediate results at the time of consultation.
Information and benefits
- Injection administered by experienced sports physicians
- Injection types include Cortisone, PRP, Autologous blood & Viscosupplementation (Synvisc, Durolane)
- Prompt treatment at the time of consultation if appropriate
- Patient assessment and treatment streamlined reducing the need for multiple appointments for patients
- Higher Medicare rebates apply for GP/specialist referred patients
- Reduced fees means less out-of-pocket expense for patients
Are a safe and effective treatment option for many different types of sports and musculoskeletal injuries.
Cortisone is naturally produced by the body and is a powerful anti-inflammatory. An injection uses a synthetic version of cortisone, which is injected in or around the injured tissue*.
Cortisone injections are an effective treatment option for:
- Tendon injury
- Joint pain
- Other musculoskeletal problems (eg. neuritis)
*The injection of cortisone should only be administered by a trained physician.
Autologous blood injections or platelet rich plasma (PRP) injections are a new therapy for sports injury. These techniques are often used to treat tendon pathology. Tendons have poor blood supply and therefore poor healing. The idea of performing blood injections arose from the known benefits of surgical techniques that simply improve blood supply to an injured tendon.
This type of treatment involves removing blood from an elbow vein and injecting the blood into the target tissue. Sometimes the blood is spun down to obtain the PRP which has a high concentration of the platelets and other proteins which can accelerate healing.
Our sports doctors now offer injection therapy using ultrasound-guided technology, providing immediate results at the time of consultation.Download PDF Brochure